As much as I genuinely love teamwork I can’t help but dread team meetings. While I’ve definitely attended some very productive ones, leaving super energized and ready to work, I must admit that it only equals to around 20 % of them. The other 80 % feels like a complete waste of time and drains me for every bit of creative energy that I have for the day (be aware: statistics based on my short-term memory, recent feelings, and absolutely no actual data).

According to Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson we should just skip all meetings! Sounds too good to be true, ha? Whether this is a great idea in practice I have absolutely no clue about. I haven’t tested it. However…… It did work for Mr. Fried and Mr. Hansson! And I absolutely love their way of re-thinking our meeting culture which for sure could be much more productive. In their book Re-work they not only re-think meetings but our work culture in general. They offer their perspective on how to achieve a better, faster and easier way of doing business (by doing the exact opposite of what we’ve been taught at business cool). It’s definitely a provocative read. I guess that’s why I loved it so much. And I can definitely recommend it to anyone who needs some input on how to optimize productivity and appreciates a cut-to-the-chase, sarcastic tone.

To read an extract from the book explaining why meetings should be skipped click here.

Favorite Quotes:

“Meetings: They often include at least one moron who inevitably gets his turn to waste everyone’s time with nonsense”.

“Workaholics aren’t heroes. They don’t save the day, they just use it up. The real hero is home because she figured out a faster way”

“Find a judo solution, one that delivers maximum efficiency with minimum effort. When good enough gets the job done, go for it.”

“It’s a beautiful way to put it: Leave the poetry in what you make. When something becomes too polished, it loses its soul. It seems robotic.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *